Thursday, February 15, 2007

Backroads



Canon EOS 20D with 70-200L @ 70mm ISO400


I had to remove the post that I had put up yesterday as there was a glitch that I could not fix, so in the trash bin it went. I had mentioned that the above photo was shot northeast of the city of Calgary on a back road when I spotted this grove of trees. I realized that there was potential for a good capture if I placed this fence corner in the foreground along with the trees to give it the depth required to make the photo work. I set up my tripod on the roadway, as I decided that that worked best with the added elevation of the roadway allowing my camera to see over the gate and to not block the view of the trees in the background. I shot this photo with a aperture of f22 and a shutter speed of 1/15 of a second. I had to go to the small aperture to keep everything in focus. I also used mirror lock-up.



Canon EOS 20D with 70-200L @ 200mm ISO400

I realized after a while that the ice-fog that seemed to be following me around the country-side was thinning out and I actually could see patches of blue sky on occasion. As the fog lifted all that frost that was adhered to everything stood out against the clearing skies. I came across this large power line with a heavy coating of frost so pulling my truck over I captured this image. I went with a aperture of F16 and what a dramatic difference a increase in light does for you as my shutter speed used for this photo was 1/500 of a second. When the day started I went with a ISO of 400 because of the low light conditions which as you see from the first photo, things changed dramatically for this second photo.

No comments yet