Saturday, February 17, 2007

Calgary-The Early Hours


Canon EOS 20D with 70-200L @ 70mm ISO400

I did not get to far away from home today as I wanted to install a new antenna mount on my truck. I also wanted to have coffee with the Ham guys at the Sunridge Mall which I did. So anyway back to this first capture that was shot off of the Zoo bridge on the south side of the zoo. I parked my truck and walked back on to the bridge and shot this photo looking east at the rising sun streaming over the Bow River. I used the railing as a support for my camera which worked out well. I as per usual I used mirror lock-up. I went with a aperture of F32 to star the sun and a shutter speed of 1/500 of a second. I also under-exposed the capture by two stops with mild tweaking in Elements.



Canon EOS 20D with 70-200L @ 70mm ISO400

After I was satisfied with the capture up-stream of the Bow River, I then moved over to the down-stream side of the bridge which overlooks the Calgary downtown. I liked the way the light was high-lighting the ice on the Bow and wanted that to be part of this capture. I again setup on the bridge railing and after metering the scene, I decided to go with a aperture of F16 and a shutter speed of 1/250 of a second. I always enjoy shooting photos of Calgary's downtown and between the light and the sky, it always gives the Calgary skyline a new look. Every morning on my way to work, I marvel at the way the light plays on the Calgary skyline as the sun rises behind me on my way in.

No comments yet