Friday, February 09, 2007

Who Has Seen the Wind



Canon EOS 20D with 70/200 @ 200mm and 1.4 tele-extender ISO 400

I am not sure if it was the wind blowing across my face, or the sun shinning down on me, or maybe it was the telegraph line from another era, however the scene before me reminded me of reading "Who Has Seen the Wind" by W. O. Mitchell. I had been travelling on a farm road enjoying the drive as I kept an eye out for Snowy Owls and what not. As I crossed at this level rail crossing, I noticed the telegraph line and that completed the scene. I really like this photo for various reasons. I took certain liberties with this photo and tried for a painting look.

Continuing down this backroad proved to be a plus as I came up over a small rise in the road and spotted what possibly was a Snowy Owl perched on a utility pole, which was part of this utility line running parallel to the road that I was travelling on. I stopped and grabbed my binoculars for a closer look. Yup-I had my second Snowy for the day. I eased my truck up to a spot as close as reasonably possible, without spooking the Snowy to much. Rolling down my window and with my beanbag in place I got captures of my second Snowy Owl of the day. This Snowy seemed to not be as nervous as the first one that I photographed back on the Inverlake road near Chestermere Lake , where I had found my first one.

The coloring of this Snowy is quite similar to the first one. I should have been using a flash to shoot these photo's, however without making excuses it did not happen that way. Anyway I am pleased that I finally have observed Snowy Owls this winter in Southern, Alberta, and have to say they are beautiful birds to say the least. That's probably why the Snowy Owl is the Provincial Bird for the Province of Quebec.









Canon EOS 20D with 10-22 @ 10mm ISO100

After the Snowy Owl I ended up om Secondary Highway 564 east and just before the intersection with Highway 21 north and east of Strathmore, Alberta I came upon this old homestead that I shot some interesting photo's of. It's amazing how the trees are growing right up to the doorstep. I am always intrigued as to who maybe lived in these abandoned homes that I see as I travel around the countryside.





No comments yet