Sunday, March 04, 2007

Kananaskis Rock


Canon EOS 20D with 70-200L @ 200mm

I finally got a free day where I could get out of town and take a drive. It seems lately that I had a whole lot of things to take care of and today I was not letting anything get in my way, done deal. I was on my way west before the sun was up and had a lot of company on Highway 1 west, as the road was nothing but vehicles headed west to enjoy what would prove to be a beautiful day with +8C for a high on my truck thermometer recorded in the Rocks. I shot a lot of captures that pleased me and this leading capture is one of my first as the sun made its presence known near Mount Sparowhawk in the Spray Valley south of Canmore, Alberta.



Canon EOS 20D with 70-200L @ 70mm

Further down the Smith Dorren Highway I had to pull over and get a shot of the sun now peeking over the Rocks to the east and casting its early morning light on the Rocks just ahead of my truck which includes Mount Black Prince. As I made my way past Sawmill and Burnstall Pass staging areas, the snow was alive with cross country skiers preparing to enter the back country with packs loaded with necessary gear including avalanche beacons for skiers who would be in avalanche areas.




Canon EOS 20D with 70-200L @ 100mm

In this last capture I had stopped to brew a cup of tea in a tiny clearing that had been cleared by the Peter Lougheed P.P. snowplows, allowing me to stop my truck overlooking the lower Kananaskis Lake and why not as the scenery including this capture with dazzling snow all around me making sunglasses a necessity. I also shot some amusing photos of Whiskey Jacks begging for food that I will show you next time....

No comments yet