Thursday, April 19, 2007

Roadside Stuff


Canon EOS-20D; Lensbaby 2.0 @ f2.8, ISO100, 1/8000 sec.

I was down in the Manchester area of Calgary where I found myself on Brandon Street, the location of this abandoned building which I suspect at one time was a service station. Of course you could say it is a sure bet that I am correct going by the reasoning that the faded name on the front (Fleet Gas & Oil) is a dead give-away. I cannot recall when it may have been in operation, however I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it is levelled in the name of progress.


From Brandon Street I turned on 25 ave and headed west past the Stampede grounds and across Macleod Trail to 1st street S.W. where I spotted this building with this neat Muriel painted on one side. The building stands all alone on a construction site that has a new building underway beside it. I don't know what the status of this old brick two storey building is or if it qualifies as a heritage building. "Heritage" is an elusive concept to define. People generally agree that in the context of buildings it is something worthy of preservation. I suspect someone is fighting to save this one.

Canon EOS-20D; EF70-200 f2.8L, ISO100











The Balzac General Store and Gas bar in Balzac, Alberta caught my eye as I passed through the hamlet lately. You got to check out this neat retro 50's General Store with its neat Pepsi Cola sign, to the unusual items for sale on the inside. Balzac a small hamlet that lies just north of Calgary, is best known for "Balzac Billy" from the Spermophilus richardsonii family more commonly known as a gopher. Balzac Billy made his first appearance twenty years ago on groundhog day, in front of the Balzac General Store where he saw his shadow and predicted six more weeks of winter. He has been making weather predictions ever since.
Canon EOS 20D; EF70-200 f2.8L, ISO100




Canon EOS-20D; EF50 f1.4 @ f16, ISO100, 1/500 sec
.
I found myself in the neighbourhood of Inglewood on a errand when I spotted this neat 1963 Pontiac parked on the street in front of this apartment building. Actually they go together quite well, although I suspect the building has been around longer than the car. The community of Inglewood was established in 1875 following the construction of Fort Calgary. Today the neighbourhood is among Calgary's most trendy shopping and art districts.



No comments yet